People have been eating Beaver meat for a very long time. It has a strong flavor and some people don’t care for it. I have found that I prefer to have my Beaver meat ground up and cooked into meals that use a lot of spices. My favorite meals are Beaver Spaghetti, Beaver Enchilada Soup, or Beaver Chili. I have heard that some people don’t like the tail of the beaver due to the flavor as it is pretty musky, but I found it to be great in the chili.
2 – 3 lb’s beaver meat, ground or cut into tiny pieces
salt and pepper, course ground if available
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cans chili beans, or beans of choice
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15oz) chopped tomatoes
6 – 8 roasted chili peppers, remove skins and seeds, finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1-2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
1. Liberally season meat with salt and pepper. Place in refrigerator for at least two hours.
2. Remove meat from refrigerator and place on counter for 20 minutes.
3. In a large skillet, pot or dutch oven, melt a little butter. Saute the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic until semi-soft.
4. Add the meat and cook over medium heat until cooked through.
5. To the meat mixture, add the beans, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, chopped chili peppers, and seasonings. Stir together.
6. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 60 – 90 minutes. Add a little water if too thick and not fully cooked. Serve and Enjoy!
**Optional: Serve with chopped onions, grated cheese, and sour cream if desired.